Friday, August 21, 2009

Zucchini Bread

Although I have my best garden ever this year, I didn't have room for zucchini so my mother-in-law grew some. She gave me one of the first of the season - one that "got away from her" and was so big that I was able to make four zucchini breads and a pasta dish from it. Here is the zucchini bread recipe my mother-in-law gave me from a farm stand cookbook. She has cut the sugar from 2 1/4 cups to 1 1/2 cups.

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups flour
1 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Walnuts and raisins (optional)

Mix all ingredients together into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

I grated the zucchini very fine so my kids didn't know it was in there. I put the batter into two loaf pans.

My sister Robin's church cookbook from the Zion Fellowship in Canandaigua, NY has a similar recipe but uses only two cups flour but 1 whole tsp. baking powder and a tsp. vanilla. That recipe also makes two loaves.

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter