Friday, May 1, 2009

It's that time of year again - Dandelion salad

Every spring my neighbors' lawns are teeming with weeds. I say my neighbors because my husband is a freak about his lawn. Not a blade of perfectly green grass out of place.


But my neighbors have free landscaping help - from me. I am happy to help them weed those dandelions out - and keep my loot to make a nice salad.


Dandelions greens are often sold at farm markets and grocery stores with the more standard fare. But I get mine for free.


I also eat purslane, which grows near the edge of my property by the street. I try to pick it regularly before my husband kills it unnaturally.


The greens of dandelions can be used in salads in place of arugula or other leafy greens. Some people also cook them as they would spinach or broccoli rabe. I like them tossed with extra virgin olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar and some kosher salt.

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter