Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tomato Sauce with Pancetta

This past Christmas, I made food gift baskets for all the grown-ups in my family. I sent one to my aunt and uncle in Michigan and they sent a nice note of thanks a while back and asked for the tomato sauce recipe. So, here I will hit two birds with one stone and make it my blog entry for today. I loosely based the sauce on something I saw Giada DeLaurentiis make on her show before the holidays. Here's my version:

Tomato Sauce with Pancetta

Ingredients:
Two cans tomato puree
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb. pancetta (which is like Italian bacon and can be found where prosciutto is)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 or 3 large carrots, grated
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
Dried basil, parsley, thyme, salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation: Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add pancetta and cook until browned slightly. Add onion and cook until softened. Deglaze the bottom of the pot with the white wine or broth. Add tomato puree, carrots, herbs, salt and pepper and simmer on medium heat until thickened and the flavors are blended, about an hour. Pour over pasta and top with pecorino romano cheese or pour into a jar and save. This sauce can be frozen until you are ready to use.

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter