Saturday, February 2, 2008

Today we are having all the parents over - four from my side, two from the Cea side - to celebrate three birthdays. I decided to cook a Puglisi - or maybe it's Masullo (mom's side) - family favorite that we call Genoese sauce. I imagine it was originally Genovese sauce, so I have named it that below. Anyway, it was always a special treat when Grandma decided to make this dish. The base of the sauce is a pot roast which is cooked for several hours. I can remember Grandma Puglisi standing over a hot stove for hours. I have neither the time nor the patience for that, so I cook mine in a slow cooker. The one I am serving today cooked yesterday for 8 hours on low with all ingredients added from the start.

Genovese Sauce

Ingredients:
3 to 4 lbs bottom or top round (pot roasted)
1 pkg onion soup mix
6 or 7 small chopped onions
2 carrots chopped
1/2 lb proscuitto

Preparation: Pot roast meat in oil and water (simmer covered for a couple of hours until brown; keep adding water and turning). Season with salt when cooked. Pour in cooked onion soup and add vegetables and proscuitto. Simmer uncovered until thick (about an hour). Note: I have also used wine for the liquid which adds nice flavor. This time, I used chicken broth and skipped the onion soup mix. Next time I am going to try beef broth.

Serve over a pound or two of spaghetti topped with lots of pecorino romano cheese. Buon appetito!

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter