Monday, February 25, 2008

The best homemade brownie recipe

Although I have made brownies from scratch countless times, I always go back to the ones you make out of the box because I have found that they are inevitably more fudgy with richer chocolate flavor. But, I finally found a recipe that I like (and so does the family) and they only have 6 tablespoons of butter! I made these last night.

Adapted from a recipe in All You magazine:
Fudgy Brownies
Prep: 20 min.
Bake: 25 min.
Yield: 16

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (semi-sweet chocolate chips also work)
1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preparation: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with foil leaving a 1 inch overhang. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt butter and chocolate until smooth in a saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly. Combine eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and stir in chocolate and butter mixture. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips. Pour into pan and bake until set in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool. Place plate over pan and turn upside-down to release the brownies. Cut into small squares.

The addition of the chocolate chips was not in the original recipe but I added them in case the recipe by itself was not fudgy enough. The recipe calls for baking 20 to 25 minutes. In my experience (depending on your oven of course), 20 minutes is plenty and more would make them dry.

I have seen brownie recipes call for foil in the pan before and thought it would be a mess with batter seeping under the foil and making it all stick together, but this batter is very thick, so it was not a problem and in fact, removing the brownies was so easy, I may do it this way every time. I sprayed my foil with baking spray to be sure it didn't stick. I saw the Neelys on Food Network make their brownies with foil in the pan the same day I tried this, so thought they all can't be wrong! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These brownies are easy and so delicious!! Rich chocolate, gooey, and a big hit with my family. Thanks.

FarmersMarketCook said...

Glad you enjoyed them! I have now posted a gluten free version.

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter