Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday Brunch

Today I had a former boss over for brunch. I enjoyed using my new tablecloth, cloth napkins and fine china. Here's where my experience in college as a banquet hall waitress comes in handy. I enjoy dressing up the table and folding my napkins professionally.

As a main course, we served quiche. Quiche is the timeless brunch staple. It's just great entertaining food. One or two standard quiches can serve a small crowd and it's one of those foods that tastes just as good at room temperature as hot so can be left on the table for a while. For a large crowd, I once made a recipe from a Martha Stewart cookbook for quiche appetizers. The recipe calls for a crust rolled out on a large cookie sheet and then topped with an egg, cream, cheese and spinach mixture. Once baked, it can be cut into about 100 squares, so serves a crowd. And quiche is one of those great dishes that can be thrown together using whatever you have in the house. Some of my favorite quiche recipes come from my mom who makes an apple and cheddar quiche which is a great use for extra apples in the fall. Swiss cheese and marinated artichoke hearts make another great combination for quiche. If you have extra peppers, onions, scallions or potatoes - throw them in a quiche. Zucchini, yellow squash or tomatoes can also be used, but sparingly as they are watery and will affect the crust and bake time. All types of cheeses work well in quiche.

My standard recipe for quiche is as follows:
One 9 inch pie pan
Refrigerator pie crust
6 to 8 large eggs
One cup milk
Cheese and other flavorings to taste

Cover pie pan with crust following package directions. Whisk eggs and milk together. Add cheese and other flavorings to taste. Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.

A few months ago, I made a "pizza quiche" that was a hit with the kids. I added mozzarella cheese on top of the crust and baked for 10 minutes and then topped that with a can of tomato soup and then the egg mixture and baked for an hour. Delish!

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter