Saturday, January 19, 2008

Don't throw away that calamari!

Last week, I did something I never did before - I saved calamari from a restaurant, fried it again the next day, and served it over linguini. It all started when my husband and I escaped for a dinner alone - one of the first since our 17-month-old was born. Our nine year old, wise to where we were going (a favorite local Italian restaurant), was a little dissappointed he wasn't coming since he loves the calamari there. I promised him I'd bring some back but by the time we came home, he was full from the baked ziti I left for the kids for dinner, so he only had a few bites. So, what to do with all that leftover calamari?? It seemed a shame to throw it all away, so I decided to put it in the fridge and see what I could do with it the next day.

So, I heated some olive oil in a pan and dropped the calamari in as is. I let it fry for two to three minutes, sprinkled some kosher salt over it and removed it from the pan. I served it over linguini with marinara sauce and it was crispy and delicious. I was afraid the calamari would become tough or chewy, but that was not the case at all. It was even crispier and tastier than the day before. My son enjoyed it so much, that he didn't want me to throw the leftovers away. So we saved them for one more day and tried it again, but that was overkill. I think the calamari really needs to be used by the next day, or it won't work.

We may be going out with my in-laws tonight to another Italian restaurant, so if there are any calamari leftovers, I'll save them and do it again. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter