Sunday, January 27, 2008

Decadent devil's food and peanut butter cookies

I was stuck in the house again because we are still all getting over being sick. My daughter slept for three hours on my lap, so I had no choice but to sit there and flip back and forth between E! Hollywood network and Food Network. The inevitable happened - I became incresingly hungry and wanted to cook everything I saw. Guy Fieri was hitting his usual Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and the gooey burgers inspired me to make burgers (local farm-raised, no antibiotics or hormones of course) with sauteed onions and melted horseradish cheddar. I served natural hot dogs for my son, who doesn't like burgers because I have only started serving red meat recently for my husband. My son and I usually eat turkey burgers. But I digress - I was also watching Road Tasted and Jamie and Bobby Deen were tasting some scrumptious looking whoopie pies from Maine. Of course I wanted those too, but had to make do with whatever I had in the house. So I decided to make double chocolate cookies with peanut butter filling. They turned out delish! But the one mistake I made was making the cookies too big which made them unmanageable, not to mention too filling.

Here's the recipe:
Cookies -
Devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp water
2 eggs
1 cup cholcolate chips or chunks

Mix ingredients together in a bowl until moist. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes.

Filling -
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar

Cream together in a bowl until completely combined. The mixture will be stiff. Add a few drops of vegetable oil to make it smoother if necessary.

Make sandwiches out of the cookies using the peanut butter filling in the middle. The peanut butter spreads more easily when the cookies are still warm.

Enjoy!

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter