Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

So I made wraps from leftover rotisserie chicken yesterday and then started sauteeing a yellow onion in olive oil in a large pot, then threw the chicken carcass in the pot, filled it with water, put it back on the stove and started cooking down my chicken stock for homemade soup. My mother-in-law taught me how to make soup from scratch while I was pregnant with my daughter. The timing for my soup is good today because my daughter happens to be under the weather and she loves soup - the standard remedy for a cold. As the stock cooks down, I add chopped celery, shredded carrots, a can of tomato soup and seasoning which usualy includes salt, pepper, dried poultry seasoning, bay leaves and sometimes dried celery if I don't have fresh available. I let the soup cook down for a few hours and then take it off the stove, strain the chicken bones out, and let the soup cool - overnight and in the fridge if possible. Orange colored fat solidifies on the top and that gets skimmed off before the pot goes back on the stove. In a separate pot, I cook the noodles or macaroni (any can be used, but my favorites are wide egg noodles or small dittalini pasta). I add the pasta to the soup as I serve it, that way leftover soup can be frozen or put in the fridge for another night. The noodles don't keep well in the soup. They absorb the liquid and get too soggy. I serve the soup with crackers and topped with plenty of grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese. Campell's move over!

No comments:

embracing a sustainable lifestyle as a Locavore ... using locally grown and produced ingredients whenever possible ...

Search This Blog

Site Meter